Barefoot Zen?

Barefoot Zen?
Namaste, Y'all...

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

That's Funny...You Don't LOOK Buddhist!





I've hesitated before posting this article more than once, but I thought it would be a good idea just to have here as a point of reference for folks who may wonder what the hell I'm thinking and why I found myself led down this path.

It started formally in 1997, so this isn't a new phase or anything - it's just a final decision to embrace what I've been quietly and not-so-quietly trying to practice for years.  But it's puzzling to anyone who knew me as the Youth President of a prominent Southern Baptist Church, or the student at the fancy Southern Baptist College.  Heck, I've never even broached this with my own family for fear of the dominoes it would set into motion.

To be clear, the link below is NOT about why Buddhism is better than anything else.  The headline is meant in total jest, but the writer gets a lot of things right, in terms of what appeals to me and what has drawn me to this philosophy (not religion, but philosophy) for the past fifteen years.

If you're interested, here's the link:
10 Reasons why Buddhism is Better than your Religion.

If not, by all means, move on happily.

I love writing about it, but I am not here to convert or influence anyone.  This blog is not about trying to get people to become Buddhists, join Fitwit, run barefoot, or eat more leafy green vegetables.  I'm just a guy who loves to write and writes about what he knows, what he might sorta know, or the things he wants to know more about, using this space as a playground for that exploration.

If any of it reeks of platitude or preachiness, please know that's never the intent.  Am I gonna take swings at Hardee's and Pat Robertson?  You betcha.  That's like walking past a piƱata the size of a Buick and not going for the candy.  But I try to keep my sense of humor and open-mindedness, while keeping the judgmental tone in check.  When I falter, I am sorry, but there's as much as an attempt here to be a satirist as there is any kind of pseudo-sage.

So, with that, I leave you with Waylon Lewis' "10 Reasons Why Buddhism is (NOT) Better than your Religion".  Because it's not.  But I'm glad to have found it - and somehow keep coming back to it.  If you wonder why, here's a fun way to learn more without having to go to the library and figure out how to spell "Thich Nhat Hahn" on the computerized catalogue.

Namaste, y'all.



No comments:

Post a Comment