Barefoot Zen?

Barefoot Zen?
Namaste, Y'all...

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Five Weeks In...

So, I know it's been kinda quiet on the blog recently, and most of that has to do with the amount of traveling, work, and PTA/Little League volunteering that is consuming my life.  The rest can be chalked up that, after five weeks of FitWit, even my fingertips are sore, and extraneous typing is an effort.

I have no idea whether the past month or so has made an improvement that others can see.  I'm more tan than I was in March, I can say that (10am boot camps will do that to ya).  I do know, however, that FitWit has made a huge impact on me and how I see myself.   I've never been accused of pushing myself physically.  Even when training for the ING half-marathon, if I needed to stop and walk, I stopped and I walked, with no inner Sgt. Carter yipping "MOVE IT! MOVE IT! MOVE IT!" at my Gomer Pyle-like approach.  Suffice to say, when it comes to self-motivation, I'm easy like Sunday mornin'.

FitWit has shown me I'm capable of more than I realized.  Our trainer is uber-supportive.  There's no boot camp mentality - it's 100% positive motivation.  However, there is a definitive boot camp vibe to the actual exercises we're doing - what with kettlebells, medicine balls, jump ropes, sprints, squats, burpies, push ups, pull ups, dips, and broad jumps, to name a few.  That's where I've surprised myself.  Because I've never been the kind of person to veer too far out of my comfort zone, FitWit has shown me I've got more brewin' inside than just caffeine and neuroses. I can actually push myself to - and through - perceived limitations.  Surrounded by other positive folks, all busting down their own walls and personal challenges, gives you something collective and powerful to work toward.  You're not alone.  And after years of taking 3 or 4 mile runs by myself, I'm finding the camaraderie and gentle competition is working in my favor.

So, instead of downshifting this summer back to meandering runs or do-it-myself yoga on my front porch, I'm re-enlisting for another round of FitWit in June.  Not just because I'd like the lovehandles to become harder to grip, but because no matter what may or may not be happening on the outside, I love the changes that are coming from within.

1 comment:

  1. I like reading your updates. I too started FitWit 5 weeks ago (thanks to a BloomSpot coupon!) and I'll definitely be continuing even at full price. One unexpected advantage: on camp days, life's ups and downs don't rattle me at all. Wednesday comes around, and I notice I am much more susceptible to stress.

    ReplyDelete