Barefoot Zen?

Barefoot Zen?
Namaste, Y'all...

Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Blog, The Book, & The Bite.

Wow, this blog has been quieter than the Jim Belushi fan page. Told ya.

First things first, it seems many friends' blogs have been eaten alive by that cyber-cannibal known as Facebook. Why post lengthy journals of your life when you can post perpetual nuances of your day? Why bore dozens when you could bore hundreds?

My love/hate relationship with Facebook hit a plateau this past month. I've been on for a year now and I have wasted countless hours there. Musings, reunions, surveys, wars of words, and quip one-up-manship. Then, as I struggled to find time to get all the things I needed to accomplish done, I rubbed the bottle, and asked the genie for all my Facebook time back from the previous year. He just laughed. Even he, said the apparition, couldn't control the timesuck that is Facebook. You can't get the genie back in the bottle, either. So, the echo of his mocking laughter has haunted me since.

I love Facebook. It's the sore tooth I can't stop touching. Where else can I go, post something witty or - on a good day - meaningful, and get such a positive reaction? It's like watching someone while they read one of my short stories, or being onstage and getting little telegrams of acceptance and support. Girls I had crushes on in high school, guys who were too cool to hang out with back in the day, teachers and peers who now tell me I'm inspiring or entertaining them the way they used to do for me. For me, Facebook is the equivalent of putting a kilo on the table for Keith Moon and walking away.

But, alas, go get bitten by a snake and you start to rethink how you're spending your time. You begin to realize that - should the credits be set to roll on your time here - you don't want your obit to read, "He really said some funny stuff on Facebook. And, er...well, he was great at Word Twist too."

And don't get me started on Twitter. Ick.

So, I have - somewhat successfully - re-channeled my need-for-attention addiction to the chance to expand my business in these confounding times, move the ball forward on "The Puzzle of Autumn" (my first attempt at penning a novel), and get into a daily routine of meditation, exercise, and gratitude.

Truth be told, I'm realizing how boorish the blog and the 'book (as in Face) can be, as almost everything written is in first person, with the 'what's up with me, as if you care' POV. This entry included, btw.

Of course, I've decided I'm less and less interested in commenting on the pop culture train wrecks, and as for politics, well, there's little I can say that Jon Stewart hasn't covered with more wit and satirical accuracy than I could ever muster.

I start my days off now with the lighting of a candle rather than the glow of a monitor, and when it's time to write something, I post one FB status for the day, and move on to chapter 3 of the novel, my corporate writing duties, or a yoga routine on the front porch.

After the snake bite, I kept waiting for this 'transformational moment' that never really came. There was no moment where I felt a vast psychological shift. But, over the course of two months, I've realized that it was a gradual, almost imperceptible one. I'm seeing what matters most, and working very hard to leave the more trivial aspects of every day life in the margins. That goes for Facebook, worry, and the pile of dishes on the kitchen counter.

The notion of enjoying every sandwich requires getting to the meat of it all and not getting hung up on the side items.

See ya back here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment